Online dating is no longer a new concept. It's been around for several years now and today it is less unusual and almost common for people to date online. However, as we close up 2010 and move into 2011, it's important to learn a few things about online dating safety tips. Just because more and more people are doing it, doesn't mean that it is any safer than it has been. In fact, as it becomes more commonplace, there are actually more dangers that come into play as people have fewer precautions than they did in the past.
Here are some online dating safety tips for 2010 that you can begin to apply today:
· Listen to your gut - When it comes to online dating, one of the most important things you can ever do is to listen to your gut. If someone doesn't feel right or someone doesn't seem right, then you should listen to this gut feeling.
· Use a free email account- You should use a free email account when you sign up for these dating sites because it will give you more privacy and protection if you communicate with someone from a dating site and then it does not work out.
· Use a cell phone or anonymous phone service- This ensures your privacy and makes it more difficult for the other person to track where you live from just the phone number. You can chat via phone with someone as you get to know them better with fewer fears that they may turn into a stalker.
· Don't give too much personal info too soon- Be careful about getting exciting or drawn in and giving all of your personal information out too soon upon talking with the other person.
· Ask for a recent photo- When you ask the person for a recent photo, it can help you to know if they are being honest with you about who they are and other important details.
· Look for signs the person may me married- You should also be wary of people who are still married and are prowling dating websites to get something extra on the site or to try to fulfill something that is missing in their lives. This will lead to nothing but trouble for you.
· Look for questionable character - There are certain signs that will start to show themselves in a person with questionable character. You need to be aware of that and be in tune with potential signs that you are with someone who may not be honest or upfront with you.
· Avoid a false sense of security- Don't get so caught up in the moment and in the love of it all that you get secure when you should not be.
· Do a background check- When you start getting serious about someone or decide that you might meet in person, do a background check to see if they really are who they say they are and if they are being honest with you.
· Meet in a public place- When you decide to meet someone in person that you know online, be sure to meet in a public place, especially the first time. You want to be sure you are safe at all times.
· Let people know where you are when you meet- When you do go out to meet someone you met first online, you should always let other people who know where you are when you go out with someone you met online and when you expect to be home.
Now that you know these online dating safety tips for 2010, you can begin applying them from the very next time that you have an online date experience.